Werry Workforce Whāraurau Youth Consumer Advisors (YCA)
The Werry Workforce Whāraurau Youth Consumer Advisor Project arose following research in 2004 into youth consumer participation in child and adolescent mental health and AoD services. This project reflects the recommendations of Blueprint, the National Mental Health Sector Standards and the United Nations Convention on Rights of the Child. The YCA project aims to increase the numbers of Youth Consumer Advisors and encourage effective youth consumer participation in New Zealand within Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMH) and Alcohol and other Drug (AoD) services.
A Youth Consumer Advisor:
- Gets feedback from other young people; this might mean attending the same groups, adding ways to give feedback or engaging through tools like social media.
- Gives feedback on projects and resources your service works on.
- Attends events, trainings and conferences then brings that knowledge back to the team.
- Can participate in the staff recruitment process.
Can help improve Māori, Pacific and LGBT+ youth consumer participation in services.
As the YCA voice for Werry Workforce Whāraurau, we work alongside the projects to ensure the voice of the young person is captured so services can keep young people at the heart of their work.
We’d like to leave you with a few questions:
- Does your service have a YCA?
- How accessible are they to your service?
- When was the last time you connected or embarked on a project together?
Has your service thought about the value of having a YCA on board and wants to hire someone to the role? We’ve compiled some tips and ideas for making the selection process run smoothly and you can access these here.
|Click here to return to Summer Newsletter main page|